For over 40 years, the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) has been the leading professional association in the solid waste management industry. SWANA’s mission is "to advance the practice of environmentally and economically sound management of municipal solid waste." We serve more than 8,000 members and thousands more industry professionals with technical conferences, certifications, publications and a large offering of technical training courses.
SWANA is committed to greening our office operations and strives towards discovering new ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
In an effort to reduce our energy usage, SWANA has:
- Reduced our number of in-house servers from 15 to 6.
- Replaced all CRT monitors with low power LCD screens.
- Replaced the majority of our in-house printers with new EnergyStar models.
In an effort to reduce our paper usage, SWANA has:
- Reduced our paper usage by 106,000 pages by reducing the size of our promotional brochures.
- Saved the equivalent of 17 trees, with our paper recycling efforts through Shred-It.
- Utilized an e-fax system, thus removing the need for printed faxes.
In addition to these efforts, SWANA also purchases carbon credits to offset our attendee and employee business travel and conducts extensive recycling at each of our onsite events.