From the Earth Foods is a small diversified vegetable farm located in Montgomery County’s Agricultural Reserve. Initially started in Minnesota with her sister, Courtney re-launched the business in Maryland thanks to help from Montgomery Countryside Alliance’s Lank Link program and the New Farmer Pilot Project.
The farm currently serves customers at farmers’ markets located in downtown Silver Spring and Poolesville, as well as selling wholesale to small regional grocers. The farm has been certified organic since 2015 and continually strives to utilize the best available growing practices as well as good old fashioned hard work.
Here are a few of the sustainable practices the farm employs:
- Planting cover crops, also known as green manures, to build soil fertility, capture nutrients, protect water quality, reduce runoff, provide habitat for beneficial insects, and prevent soil erosion.
- Designating and setting aside land that is used strictly for growing perennial vegetation to house beneficial insects and wildlife.
- Building healthy soil using cover crops, compost (made right here in Montgomery county) and naturally mined minerals that in turn produce nutrient dense foods.
- Utilizing crop rotation to minimize disease outbreaks and pest pressure. When needed we only use organically approved products to control them.
- Using drip irrigation on crops to conserve water usage.
We strongly believe that the health of the land correlates directly to the health of the people, and our farming practices strive to grow nutritious food while building and protecting the environment around us.