Coca-Cola is the most popular and biggest-selling soft drink in history, as well as one of the most recognizable brands in the world. Created in 1886 in Atlanta, Georgia, by Dr. John S. Pemberton, Coca-Cola was first offered as a fountain beverage at Jacob's Pharmacy by mixing Coca-Cola syrup with carbonated water. In 1899, The Coca-Cola Company began franchised bottling operations in the United States and in 1902 Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated (CCBCC) was founded in Greensboro, North Carolina.
CCBCC Silver Spring has operated from its current location on Elton Road, Silver Spring since 1965. The facility manufactures, packages, and distributes Coca-Cola beverages in 8.5, 12, 16.9 and 20 oz. PET bottles. As the bottling company, CCBCC is responsible for developing local networks, so that the end product reaches the consumer in its best quality. This includes customer development, market investment, order collection and delivery as well as customer and community support. Our roots in Montgomery County run deep.
We, at Coca-Cola strongly believe in delivering sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for the people and our planet. We are a company committed to making a positive difference and our commitment translates into:
The management team of CCBCC Silver Spring is fully committed to protecting the environment by maintaining an effective Environmental Management System.
Our goal is to incorporate environmental management into existing business operations by involving employees at all levels. Environmental management is not a burden, but a tool to minimize waste, reduce cost, and help the local environment. Our Top Management Commitment is to be good community stewards of the environment by Conserving Water, Protecting Natural Resources, and Recycling. CCBCC Silver Spring has been certified to ISO 14001 EMS Standard since 2015. In addition, the facility is certified to FSSC 22000 (Food Safety), ISO 9001 (Quality), and OHSAS 18001 (Safety) Standards.
At Coca-Cola we are dedicated to contributing to a healthier happier world. That is why we are committed to:
- Water Stewardship: Water is the main ingredient in our products and is used for many purposes in our production facilities. Since 2012, CCBCC Silver Spring has maintained a Water Use Ratio (the amount of water used to produce one unit of Coke Product) below the Company 2020 goal of 1.50. In addition, the Company requires that each production facility develop a program to understand and manage risks to the source water for our operations. CCBCC Silver Spring has established and trained a Water Resource Management Team (WRMT) responsible for managing facility source water risks identified through a Company sponsored comprehensive Source Water Vulnerability Assessment with a goal to reducing the impacts of our operations on a shared vital resource - WATER.
- Energy and Climate: The Coca-Cola Silver Spring facility has conducted comprehensive energy assessments to identify areas of focus to improve energy efficiency. Since 2010, our energy conservation efforts have resulted in over 20% improvement in total energy consumption (electricity and natural gas). We continue to improve our energy performance through lighting upgrades, optimizing our processes and scheduled replacement of legacy equipment with more energy efficient ones.
- Recycling: In 2016, CCBCC Silver Spring recycled over 97% of solid waste generated at the facility and maintained 100% landfill diversion by sending plant trash to the Covanta Montgomery Resource Recovery (Waste-to-Energy) Facility in Dickerson Maryland. Our recycling efforts align with our Company’s strategic priority to demonstrate leadership in sustainability to benefit our environment and communities.
Community engagement is part of doing business at Coca-Cola Bottling Company Consolidated. To that end, our Citizenship Policy outlines the process and required elements for implementing a plan to support our local community and environmental initiatives.
The Company understands the importance of contributing positively to our communities and the environment. Maintaining open communication with our communities demonstrates that we have a vested interest in the surrounding infrastructure. We engage our partners and suppliers to build strong partnerships that promote sustainability, community involvement, minimize our environmental footprint, deepen relationships with our communities and demonstrate commitment to the physical well-being of our consumers. CCBCC Silver Spring has participated in several community outreaches including but not limited to:
- Hillandale Fire Department Product Donations
- MD Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge
- MD Special Olympics Summer Games
- Kinderfest Sponsor
- Springbrook High School Music Program
- Rain Barrel Donations
- Cecil Kirk Community Center Rehabilitation and book drive
- Annual Potomac River Watershed (Wells Run Tributary) Cleanup with the Alice Ferguson Foundation
With 50+ years history of manufacturing safe products in Montgomery County, Coca-Cola Silver Spring continues to strive to achieve high performance and leadership in Food Safety, Quality, Safety and Environment as related to Beverage Manufacturing and to actively engage our communities for a healthier and sustainable future for our people and planet.