URS Corporation is a leading worldwide provider of engineering, construction, and technical services for public agencies and private sector companies. URS offers a full range of program management; planning, design, and engineering; systems engineering and technical assistance; construction and construction management; operation and maintenance; environmental sustainability consulting; homeland security and emergency management; and decommissioning and closure services for power, infrastructure, industrial, commercial, and federal projects and programs. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, URS Corporation has approximately 48,000 employees in more than 40 countries. Six-hundred of these employees work in the Germantown, Maryland, Infrastructure and Environment office.
In 2011, Engineering News- Record ranked URS the #1 Green Design Firm in the United States—up from #2 in 2010. The list of the Top Green Design Firms measures revenues generated from projects that have been certified for meeting sustainable design standards by a third-party organization, such as the U.S. Green Building Council. In the eight subcategories on the list, URS ranked #1 in Education and Retail, #2 in Multi-Unit, #3 in Industrial Manufacturing and #4 in Government Offices.
A 2010 report, “Green Quadrant Sustainable Engineering in the U.S.,” published by an independent analyst firm, Verdantix, lists URS as one of the strongest U.S. engineering companies with sustainable engineering capabilities. The rating is based on our strong track record across a wide spectrum of project types, our willingness to innovate, and our organizational approach to sustainability.
In addition to providing sustainability consulting, URS’ Germantown Infrastructure and Environment office employs experts in environmental management and remediation, civil and geotechnical engineering, water resources, technology solutions, cultural resources, homeland security and emergency management.
The URS Germantown Infrastructure and Environment office is committed to promoting a green workplace that places equal value on client service, employee unity and development, and sustainable operational efficiencies. Our move to a LEED Gold-Certified building in 2011 was the impetus to form a Green Team to pave the way for a more fully green operation. Our office and the building management have developed an excellent working relationship and have a common mission to make our operations environmentally friendly. Some of the highlights of our program are:
- Recycling areas are located throughout the office for office paper, mixed paper, bottles, and cans. Plus a special collection area was established by our building manager for cell phones, batteries, and light bulbs.
- Employees are encouraged to bring e-waste from home each year on Earth Day to be recycled by the building management.
- Printers and copiers default to double-sided printing and copying.
- Our management company uses reduced-mercury overhead lighting.
- Our cleaning contractor uses environmentally safe cleaning products and is Green Seal Certified.
- We are developing an interactive, online internal application that will allow employees to identify nearby colleagues for carpooling opportunities. Several bicycle racks are located in the office park.
- The water usage in the building is reduced by 40% due to low-flow or motion-activated faucets, 1.3-gallons-per-minute toilets, and waterless urinals.
- Our loading dock and parking areas are kept free from litter, debris, oil, chemicals, and other contaminants to reduce the potential of stormwater flushing these waste materials into Chesapeake Bay tributaries.