Savenia Labs is an independent testing laboratory and information services company that provides energy and environmental impact ratings for popular appliances, electrical products and homes. We produce information labels and ratings so individuals and businesses can choose energy saving and environmentally friendly alternatives while shopping. Below is a list of actions, policies and principles which demonstrate our strong, proactive approach to environmental management.
Environmental Policy Statement
Our Environmental Policy consists of 10 principles which we commit to uphold;
- To meet or exceed all local, state & federal environmental regulations applying to any business segment in which we operate.
- To seek external audits, certifications where feasible to independently verify our environmental performance vs. standards and peer groups in a transparent manner.
- To produce an annual environmental impact report and action plan
- To continuously monitor, evaluate and improve the environmental impact of all of our operations.
- To inform suppliers of our environmental policy and priorities, assist them in reducing their impact and evaluate supplier environmental performance as part of our procurement process.
- To aggressively respond to any environmental distress resulting from an operational malfunction.
- To educate and empower employees to implement our environmental policies and objectives on a daily basis.
- To dedicate sufficient senior management attention to environmental policy implementation, compliance and improvement activities.
- To participate in community based environmental awareness activities in the communities where we operate.
- To take a leading role in informing the public, manufacturers and the government about environmental issues of interest and the need for transparency with regard to the environmental impacts of products and services.
Annual Environmental Goals
In 2015, we plan to take the following actions to mitigate and improve our environmental impact;
- Calculate and reduce Savenia Labs’ carbon footprint for 2015 – scaled up to accommodate likely emissions of 3 employees. Then offset the remaining emissions with third‐party certified, US‐based carbon offsets. Our operational preference is to reduce actual carbon emissions before offsetting.
- Purchase 100% of our electricity from wind powered sources. We intend to purchase third‐party certified Renewable Energy Certificates to account for all of our electricity usage at all facilities and to achieve membership in EPA’s Green Power Partnership.
- Inform suppliers and consultants of our environmental policy and priorities, and include the requirement for conformance with these policies and priorities in any new supplier contracts.
- Maintain B Lab certification for Savenia Labs in 2015.
- Replace vehicle used on company business with more fuel‐efficient alternative.
- Minimize business travel by utilizing technological solutions.
Environmentally Preferable Products and Services
Savenia Home ‐ Savenia helps homeowners, Realtors, builders and renovators unlock the value of home efficiency upgrades: Solar, High Efficiency Appliances, HVAC, Lighting, Water Heating and more. Savenia provides home sellers with customized Home Rating Labels, marketing materials and online marketing to differentiate, sell faster, and capture the full value of homes for sale. The net impact is to encourage homeowners, builders, and renovators to improve the efficiency of their homes, saving energy, money, and the environment.
Savenia Retail – Savenia helps appliance and electronics retailers expand sales, margin, customer satisfaction and sustainability with in‐store energy rating labels and marketing materials. Customers viewing Savenia Labels choose more efficient, often more expensive items that save money over the product lifetime – a win‐win‐win for customer, retailer and forward thinking manufacturers.
Savenia Enterprise – Savenia helps large enterprises reduce utility expenditure and environmental impact through smarter procurement on appliances and electronic items. Savenia provides online access to a proprietary database of energy use, water use and environmental impact information on popular appliances and electrics. With this information and associated communication tools, enterprises can benchmark, track, communicate and drive sustainable procurement across the organization.
Savenia also conducts groundbreaking research into US regional water pricing and water using appliances, and provides the first and only ‘Hydro’ (energy + water) rating labels for water using appliances in the United States. We publish details from our research and participate in public forums to educate buyers on the importance of water conservation.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
Savenia Labs is committed to operate in an environmentally, ethically and socially responsible manner. This commitment includes maintaining safe facilities and operations and providing goods and services that are safe and minimize environmental burdens throughout their life cycle. Our suppliers play a key role in this commitment, and we expect suppliers to commit to these principles and in addition to pass these expectations down to their suppliers to ensure conformance through the supply chain.
- All vendors and suppliers are expected to comply with all applicable laws and regulations in the conduct of their business with Savenia Labs.
- Savenia Labs will include a strong preference for superior environmental performance of suppliers when making purchasing decisions. We will give preference and encourage suppliers to source locally, to annually map their environmental footprint and to have a plan in place to address these issues for the firm and its major suppliers.
- All suppliers have an equal opportunity to compete for services issued by Savenia Labs regardless of race, color, sex or national origin. We actively pursue opportunities to source from local, woman‐owned and minority‐owned businesses, small disadvantaged, veteran, service disabled veterans, Hubzone and 8a businesses.
- Savenia Labs prefers to deal with local and independently owned suppliers of goods and services when availability, price and performance are considered equivalent. We realize that price does not always reflect the total cost (including environmental costs) of a product or service and strive to include these additional aspects in our assessment.
Independently‐Audited Environmental Management System
Savenia has been a Certified Benefit Corporation since 2011, independently audited and verified by B Corporation.
Solid Waste Reduction and Reuse
We minimize printing of documents and e‐mails. We look for opportunities to eliminate paperwork and switch to electronic format when we can. We employ double‐sided copying and printing. We reduce unwanted and duplicate mailings. We use reusable items (e.g. kitchenware for office meetings). We buy products in bulk to reduce packaging.
We recycle mixed paper (including cardboard), cans, bottles, plastic, glass, toner/ink cartridges and electronic and computer equipment. We also have access to a compost collector in our office. Our office furniture is recycled or second‐hand. The majority of the materials used for our office operations come from recycled/sustainable input materials.
Hazardous Waste/Toxic Use Reduction
We use unbleached/chlorine free paper products as well as organic or sustainable kitchen products. We also use soy‐based inks or other low VOC inks.
Savenia Labs currently resides in the Bethesda Green office space, an accredited green facility. Some of the measures that have been taken to improve the energy efficiency of our office space are included below.
We use ENERGY STAR labeled office equipment as well as an ENERGY STAR labeled water cooler in the common area.
Our office space has an abundance of natural light resulting in reduced energy costs for lighting. We also use energy efficient LED bulbs rather than incandescent bulbs. We use lighting controls such as occupancy sensors and arrange workspace to take advantage of areas of natural light.
Savenia Labs has purchased Renewable Energy Credits to account for 100% of our electricity usage. This has qualified us for EPA’s Green Power Partnership.
Our purchase of 5 RECs helps us cut our carbon footprint while supporting renewable energy production. If we assume that the 5 megawatt hours of electricity that we’re supporting with our purchase displaces energy production from the regular grid, our purchase helps avoid 4.045 metric tons of greenhouse gases in the RFC electricity grid region (Maryland’s region). That’s equivalent to planting 104 seedlings for 10 years, eliminating 1.4 tons of waste from a landfill, or taking an average American car off the road for 9 months.
Furthermore, we purchase third‐party certified carbon offset credits to offset the rest of our carbon footprint – 10 metric tons from Terrapass for 2014. The climate impact of that activity is equivalent to taking 2 cars off the road for a year, the amount of CO2 sequestered by 2.1 acres of pine trees in a year, or not burning over 1,100 gallons of gasoline.
We try to minimize our carbon footprint while supporting clean renewable energy production domestically. Our purchase of RECs and third‐party certified carbon offset credits helps us accomplish that goal in a transparent, measurable way.
Efficient Business Travel
Since Savenia Labs works largely with local vendors, suppliers, and service providers – we able to minimize travelling by air. We travel to business meetings in the DC area primarily by public transportation.
Winner of the 2014 US Department of Energy’s ‘SunShot’ Catalyst Competition for Business Innovation. The award recognizes Savenia Solar Ratings, the label developed to help home sellers and buyers more easily understand the monetary value of a home’s solar system.
Profile Updated January 2015