The Amicus Green Building Center is a home improvement store & design center offering products and expertise that create fresh spaces—fresh designs, fresh air and water, and a fresh take on what our buildings can do for us.
We follow the credo "do well by doing good" and subscribe to the principles of The Triple Bottom Line, where we work to maximize three profit metrics: financial, environmental (the protection and development of natural resources and assets), and civic/social.
We strive to walk the walk to become a truly sustainable company in all facets of our operations. Highlights of our activities include:
- 100% of our electricity is provided by wind power
- All electronics have energy saving sleep modes activated, and computers and peripherals are turned off after hours
- All lighting is energy saving LEDs and flourescents
- We reuse boxes and shipping cartons for customer use (to minimize use of disposable shopping bags) and shipping out products
- We upcycle or give away pallets to avoid landfilling
- We recycle paper, plastics, and metals
- All office paper is 100% post-consumer recycled, FSC-Certified. Envelopes and other paper are also high-recycled content
- Even our register receipt paper is FSC-Certified and BPA-free (most thermal receipts have BPA, which can rub off on your hands)
- We use duplex to print double-sided whenever feasible
- We prefer electronic communications over paper communications when feasible
- We use ceramic mugs and plates to minimize use of disposables
- We volunteer time and expertise in the community
- We are constantly striving to improve our operations and impacts